Max Boxing
YouTube
Facebook
Twitter
Snapchat
Insta
Search

Old meets new in champion Emanuel Navarrete

Emanuel Navarrete makes fourth defense of WBO junior featherweight champion Francisco Horta

By Bill Tibbs

TwitterFacebook
Navarrete
Navarrete

It’ll be one more, to make 4, on December 7th.

 

He’s only been a champion for a year, so in that sense he is new to the throne. But, his work ethic, and schedule, is very much old school. This will be WBO junior featherweight champion Emanuel Navarrete’s 4th title defense in 7 months and 5th title fight in 12 months. (After his August title defense in LA against Francisco De Vaca he defended his title less than 3 weeks later in Las Vegas!).

 

This is very much a throwback schedule and his ever-growing fan base loves it.

 

World Boxing Organization junior featherweight world champion Emanuel “Vaquero” Navarrete will make the third defense (in 5 months) of his WBO strap on December 7. Navarrete, (29-1, 25 KO’s), will defend against WBO #13 rated Francisco “Panchito” Horta (20-3-1, 10 KO’s). The bout, in Puebla, Mexico, will be a home game for Navarrete who has clocked into work in Tucson, L.A. and Vegas in his previous 2019 bouts.

 

Navarrete was virtually unknown outside of Mexico heading into his title challenge of then red-hot Isaac Dogboe in December of 2018. He dominated Dogboe in the bout to win the title and then stopped him in the rematch 5 months later to put an exclamation point on his title winning effort. Save for a decision loss in his 6th bout, Navarrete had been perfect heading into his 2018 title-winning effort. While people in the industry knew what a strong and tough fighter Navarrete was, I think it is safe to say that the aggressive, all-action native of San Juan Zitlaltepec, Mexico has brought on, and wowed, new fans since winning the title.

 

He is the busiest champion in boxing and it isn’t a stretch to say he might be one of the most exciting fighters working today.

 

Since winning the title, Navarrete has bested Dogboe, De Vaca and 28-1 Philippine brawler Juan Miguel Elorde (in his last defense in September). Now he is looking to make title defense #4 and finish the year making a strong case for Fighter of the Year. His events might not be of Tyson Fury or Canelo Alvarez-like proportions in terms of profile, but it is hard to argue there is anyone dominating their division with as much excitement and action as Navarrete.

 

In the pre-fight bout announcement, it was clear that both fighters, including challenger Horta, are predicting a war, which is good news for fight fans.

 

“On December seven people will know me. Expect a war, we are going for the championship of the world”, said an excited Horta.

 

And, an exciting war is just what Navarrete likes, as it’s another day at the office for this champion.

 

“I always go for the knockout”, said Navarrete, “I think it’s best to win by knockout and on December seven the people of Puebla will see a great fight”.

TwitterFacebook

SecondsOut Weekly Newsletter

YouTube
Facebook
Twitter
Snapchat
Insta
© 2000 - 2018 Knockout Entertainment Ltd & MaxBoxing.com