Anver Yunosov remains unbeaten; Erik Spring wins controversial decision

By Jeff Jowett reporting from ringside: Marshall Kauffman (Kings Prom’ns) ran a card at Philadelphia’s Sugarhouse on Friday (3/29/19).

  1. R. Jowett reporting from ringside: Marshall Kauffman (Kings Prom’ns) ran a card at Philadelphia’s Sugarhouse Casino on 3/29/19. As always, the place was SRO around 800-900, for 10 good bouts in which there was just one minor upset and two favorites getting help from the judges. Alice Grady kept time, Alex Barbosa was announcer, and publicist Marc Abrams doubled as commentator while the card was ludicrously presented on FaceBook.


In an exciting and hard fought main event, Anver Yunosov, 129 ¾, a Tajikistani fighting out of Phila., 7-0 (3), showed good poise, position and toughness to win a unanimous decision from Carlos Colon, 129 ¼, Lares, PR, 5-2 (3), eight. Though physically smaller, the flat-footed Yunosov got just inside Colon’s long punches to dig hard hooks to body and head while Carlos’ ambitious shots whizzed harmlessly around. Action was brisk throughout the contest, with explosive moments that had the fans up. In solid trading in the third, a right hook jarred Carlos, but he ducked a repeat and came back with a straight right that dropped Yunosov like a shot. Anver got up and coolly regained control, but a serious cut on his left eye made it appear as if he was in trouble. Not to worry; the peerless Joey Eye closed it between rounds and it was not a factor thereafter. Anver evened the knockdowns in the next round when he caught the more mobile Colon on the ropes and crumbled him with a crunching right-left to the body. Carlos was hurt but hung in, only to appear on way out again in the fifth when Yunosov shot a long left to the ribs and dropped him again. Caros took a beating but got out of the round. After dishing out another punishing round in the sixth, Yunosov eased off and the game but beaten Colon finished the fight. Adam Friscia scored 79-71, Steve Weisfeld and Jimmy Kinney 78-71. Shawn Clark refereed.


Scoring in PA has been good for a long time, with no homerism and reasonable consistency producing no bad decisions for some time. So it was a shock when Erik Spring, 154 ¼, Reading, 12-2-2 (1), was given a highly questionable majority decision over Terrance Williams, 153 ½, York, 5-3-1 (1), in what would have been a bristly eight had it not been for lack of punching power. In a duel of lefties, Spring tried to force the action but that’s all he did, as he was consistently outscored with quicker and straighter punches. The taller Williams had the better pair of hands and threw punches on target. Spring was game and forced the contest throughout, but flailed with wide punches, enabling Terrance to finish off most of the exchanges after frequently tattooing him as he came in. There were no big fireworks but steady sparring. Erik tried to increase the action in the second half and at least made the rounds close, but was generally nailed after every offensive burst. Referee Rosato gave Spring a brief rest from a low blow in the sixth. Erik then tried to rally, but Terrance created doubt with some long, solid punches up to the bell. Spring went with a body attack to try to turn it in the seventh but was outscored to the head. The final round was hard fought and close. Possibly the worst would have been a draw, which Friscia had 76-76. But the normally reliable Weisfeld had 77-75 and Marc Werlinsky 76-75 for Spring. At bottom, Williams probably paid the price for reluctance more than anything else, as he let Erik set the pace and only fought back. But the name of this sport is boxing, not street fighting.


Brandon Robinson, 166 ½, Phila., 12-2 (9), easily disposed of Lawrence Blakey, 168 ¾, Pitts., 5-13-2 (2), with a TKO at 2:49 of the first, scheduled six. Blakey was hopelessly small, didn’t know how to effectively get inside, and seemed to take the easy way out when southpaw Robinson dug a left to the ribs as he tried to slip away along the ropes. The underdog crumpled to all fours and covered his head while exhibiting no attempt to rise as Clark counted him out.


The booming right was all that was needed by Colby Madison, 235 ½, Owings Mills, MD, 8-0-2 (5), to bury brave but outgunned lefty Emilio Salas, 206 ½, Yonkers, 5-3-1 (3), in 23 seconds of the second of six. The two traded cautious range finders in the first, and evidently Colby got the range, as he jolted Salas with a big right just before the bell. Emilio’s left eye was worked on between rounds. Salas gamely pulled himself up on the ropes when it looked like he was done, but was in no condition to continue. Rosato refereed.


In a sensational four between debuting boxers, LaQuan Evans, 158 ¼, Phila., edged a split decision from Jordan Demko, 159 ½, Rdg. Evans was dropped early in the first in wide open trading, as the strong and vigorously attacking Demko drove him into a corner with a beauty of a sharp right. But the rangy Evans gained control of the contest behind movement and a long jab to get out of trouble and dominate the rest of the round in heated action. Demko took charge in the second as Evans cautiously circled behind the jab. The last two were torrid, with Evans moving and peppering the long jab while Demko tried to corral him on the ropes, landing solid shots when he did. This could easily have gone either way, but while Justin Rubenstein scored 39-37 for Jordan, Friscia had Evans by the same score and Werlinsky a tight 39-38 to give the joyous LaQuan the win in the show’s only upset. David Franciosi refereed.


Anthony Mercado, 142, Arecibo, PR, 13-4 (11), dished out a drubbing to Andres Navarro, 136, Toa Baja, PR, 11-8-1 (7), who quit in his corner after getting pounded to the bell in the fifth of a scheduled eight. Mercado looked a division bigger and was just too strong for the compact Navarro. Andres had no idea how to deal with the much bigger opponent, with his strategy resting on sporadic counters trying to catch Anthony and turn it around. It didn’t work, and while action was solid, it was too one sided to be truly exciting. Clark refereed.


Two debuting lefties fought a rock-‘em, sock-‘em crowd pleaser, with popular Ryan Umberger, 158 ½, probably the only fighter ever out of Chesnut Hill (Phila.), stopping Brent Oren, 160 ¾, Harrisburg, who was putting up a good fight but had had enough by the end of the third of four. The tall and lanky underdog was moving around his more compact and vigorously pressing target with long punches in a wild and crowd pleasing first, and may have edged the round when he drilled a solid right and rallied to the bell. Umberger made up for it with an all-out attack to start the second before it settled into a hard fought and open battle. The heated trading escalated in the third and had Ryan’s fans up. Oren landed some long punches, but the determined Umberger wouldn’t yield and late in the round landed a booming right when he caught Brent on the ropes. As the crowd went crazy, Ryan poured on punishment to the bell. But it still looked like a contest into the final round. Oren, however, sat on his stool head down and spent, not responding to the doctor, and so Franciosi ruled a crowd-pleasing TKO.

Michael Polite Coffie, 281 ¼, Bklyn, 6-0 (5), was too big for game Eduardo Vitela, 246 ¾, Durango, MX, 3-4 (2), in a scheduled six. Vitela tried to circle away and jab while Coffie calmly walked him down. A booming left spectacularly crumbled the underdog, who collapsed in sections like a rag doll, for a KO at 1:10 of the second. Rosato refereed.


Mark Dawson, 148, Phila., 6-0-1 (3), got the unanimous decision from Jordan Morales, 146 ½, Sunbury, PA, 3-7 (2), in a dull six. Morales took a flash knockdown from a right hook and left in the second and just couldn’t deal with the southpaw Dawson’s long reach and stance. Rubenstein scored 59-54, Friscia and Kinney 60-53. Clark refereed.


Javier Oquendo, 128 ¾, Phila., 3-1-1 (1), was lucky to get a split draw with shifty Weusi Johnson, 129 ¾, Wilmington, 3-10-1, in a cautious but good four. The rangy Johnson clearly outboxed the stalking Oquendo in the first two. Javier began to bear down in a close third but was still outscored, before taking the final round with an aggressive attack. Best score was Rubenstein’s 39-37 for Johnson; Werlinsky saw everything going to Oquendo’s forcing of the contest, 40-36, and Weisfeld tied it 38-38. Everything hinged on the third round, when Javier stepped up the attack a notch after being clearly outboxed, and may have gotten the benefit of Scappoose Effect (lose a round close after losing rounds without doubt and gain a handicap). Franciosi refereed.


SecondsOut Weekly Newsletter

© 2000 - 2018 Knockout Entertainment Ltd &