Crave Online


MaxTV Podcasts Fight Schedule Radio Todays Press Message Boards Login
Max Analysis
John Raspanti
Radio Rahim
Radio Rahimn's Interviews Radio Rahim's Facebook Radio Rahim's Google+ Radio Rahim's Website email Radio Rahim


Luis Cortes Archive


Alec Kohut Archive


Marty Mulcahey Archive


Allan Scotto Archive


Stephen Tobey Archive


German Villasenor Archive


Anson Wainwright Archive


Matthew Paras Archive


Daniel Kravetz Archive


Jason Gonzalez Archive

Brook defeats Porter by majority decision, captures IBF welterweight crown

(Photo © German Villasenor)
(Photo © German Villasenor)

Kell Brook traveled over 5,000 miles to get his title shot.

On Saturday night at the StubHub Center in Carson, CA., Brook made the most of his oppurtunity by defeating defending IBF welterweight champion Shawn Porter by majority decision over 12 hard fought rounds.

The scores were 114-114, 117-111 and 116-112 for Brook.

Maxboxing (and Doghouse Boxing) had Brook winning the fight 115-113.

The fight was televised live on Showtime Championship Boxing.

Brook (33-0, 22 KOs) did well in the opening round. He used his jab and landed a number of counter shots. Porter pursued, but at the end of the stanza was rocked by a serious combination.

Porter (24-1-1, 15 KOs) recovered and did better in rounds two and three. His body work was effective, but in a theme that would repeat itself during the entire bout, Brook was able to counter the aggressive Porter with shots to the head.

Brook, 28, jabbed nicely in rounds four and five. Porter wanted the fight to be as rough as possible, but Brook was keeping him at bay with his punches. Porter, the shorter fighter by almost three inches, propelled himself forward with his shots.

Porter upped his intensity in the next few frames.

Brook, extremely focused, stuck to his game plan. Porter connected with a number of punches to the head and body, but Brook was still catching him coming in with counter punches. Though not as busy as Porter, his straighter shots were landing consistently. By the end of the round, both fighters were bleeding from unintentional head butts.

Porter, 26, connected with a strong left hook in round seven. Brook found Porter with a three-punch combination near the end of the frame. Porter bounced on his toes, but ate a chopping right hand in round eight.

With nine rounds in the books, the fight was close. The brawling Porter was having his moments, but Brook was boxing well and landing some hard shots to the head.

In rounds 10 and 11, Porter kept lunging forward, but Brook continued to find him with counter blows.

On the outside, Brook controlled the action. Porter was able to catch Brook with a couple of hooks, but the punches had no effect. In the next to last heat, Porter, possiably feeling like he was behind on the scorecards, connected with a couple of hooks to the head. Brook returned the favor a few seconds later.

Both fighters fought with a sense of urgency in the 12th and final round. Porter forced the action.

Brook smothered Porter and snapped his back with jabs. Like a number of the earlier rounds, Porter was the more active fighter, but Brook landed the harder blows.

“I’m the champion of the world," said Brook in the ring after the fight. "It was a scrappy fight. The cut didn’t bother. I took it from him in his backyard.”

“I fought like a champion," said a disappointed Porter. "With that being said, we’ll go back to the drawing board. I want a rematch.”

Check back with and for more articles on this fight and many more.


© 2010 MaxBoxing UK Ltd