By Anthony Cocks
JEFF HORN VS ANTHONY MUNDINE ALL BUT SET FOR NOVEMBER CLASH IN BRISBANE AT 71KG
After protracted negotiations it seems that the catchweight fight between former WBO welterweight champion Jeff Horn 18-1-1 (12) and Anthony Mundine 48-8 (28) will take place at Brisbane’s Suncorp Stadium in late November.
It is the same venue where Horn upsets the odds to dislodge boxing legend Manny Pacquiao’s world championship crown in July last year.
Contract negotiations hit a roadblock when the Mundine camp, who had originally agreed to a 70kg (154-pound) catchweight, decided their man could no longer make the junior middleweight limit.
The revised weight is 71kg (156.5-pounds) with stiff financial penalties in place to ensure Mundine not only makes the agreed-upon limit at the weigh-in, but also scales no more than 75kg (165-pounds) on fight night.
In February last year the evergreen Mundine weighed in at almost 80kg (175.5-pounds) when he rematched Danny Green at Adelaide Oval in Adelaide, South Australia. More recently the former WBA super middleweight champion knocked out Tommy Browne in two rounds in a middleweight contest at The Star Casino in Sydney in January this year.
The Horn camp are cognizant of the difference an extra kilogram (2.2-pounds) can make.
“If Mundine comes in [to the ring] 10kg heavier than me he will have at least an extra 15-20 per cent extra muscle and we don’t want that to be a massive advantage,” said Horn to News Corp’s Grantlee Kieza.
“He is a very experienced boxer and he has been a multiple world champ.”
The two dates being considered are November 23 and 30.
“The negotiations for the fight have taken a long time and it’s been frustrating but I should beat Mundine easily,” Horn said.
“He’s been around for a long time, he’s very skilful and he’s got that slick boxing style that could give me problems. But I am very confident.’’
The 30-year-old ‘Fighting Schoolteacher’ is expected to receive a career-high payday for the fight.
TIM TSZYU HOPING TO GET MORE ROUNDS AFTER FIRST ROUND BLOWOUT LAST MONTH
Americans will get introduced to undefeated junior middleweight prospect Tim Tszyu 10-0 (8) when he takes on Marcos Jesus Cornejo 19-3 (18) live on ESPN+ from the new Bendigo Stadium in Bendigo, Australia on Saturday night local time.
It will be the second fight in five weeks for the 23-year-old eldest son of International Boxing Hall of Famer Kostya Tszyu.
“I had my last fight maybe a month ago, so it’s been a quick little turnaround. I’ve keep myself in shape and kept the ball rolling,” said Tszyu in an exclusive interview with Maxboxing.
Tszyu’s last fight was scheduled to fight a 10-rounder against the normally durable Stevie Ongen Ferdinandus 25-16-1 (14) on the undercard of the IBF super featherweight title fight between Billy Dib and Tevin Farmer.
The 37-year-old Indonesian fell from what appeared to be a grazing right hand in the opening frame.
A clearly frustrated Tszyu watched on with a look of disbelief from the neutral corner as Ferdinandus remained on the canvas as referee Justin Kennedy counted him out.
“The last fight didn’t last too long, so I just want to get some rounds in. I feel like I am getting better, I enjoy boxing, I enjoy the whole part about boxing. I enjoy being in the ring, so I just want to have a few more rounds,” said Tszyu.
Footage of the fight from three different angles shows a right cross from Tszyu either glancing off the shoulder of the Indonesian visitor, sliding off the top of his glove, or both. What isn’t show on the TV replays is the punch coming anywhere near Ferndinadus’s chin.
“That is monumentally disappointing from Stevie Ferdinandus, who has stayed down when it appeared he could have quite easily have got up,” said veteran boxing broadcaster Ben Damon during the Fox Sports televised show.
“And no-one wins from that situation… I don’t think Stevie Ferdinandus will be invited back to contest any professional boing in the near future.”
Tszyu meanwhile insists he did hit Ferdinandus clean but can’t explain why his opponent failed to beat the count.
“I felt the shot, I felt like I did hit him good but when I watched the replay, it didn’t even look like I hit him!” offered Tszyu.
“I don’t know how that worked out, maybe the camera angle. I’m 100% certain I did hit him, I just don’t know why the camera angle doesn’t show that.
“The opponent wasn’t a wood duck, you know? He’s held regional titles. I was expecting this guy is going to come out good. He’s had 35-40 fights, he’s had experience. And 85% of them were wins. That’s what I don’t get. Only he knows, you know.
“These things happen in boxing and it’s over now and I’m onto the next.”
Tszyu’s father Kostya, who has returned to Russia to pursue business interests, provides guidance to his son before his fights.
“My dad always says box smart, take your time and don’t get hit and everything will fall into place,” Tszyu said.
“Don’t get too excited and don’t go rushing in for the knockout, the knockout will come."
BAD BLOOD CONTINUES IN THE LEAD-UP TO JAYDE MITCHELL VS KERRY FOLEY
Super middleweights Jayde ‘El Matador’ Mitchell 16-1 (9) and ‘Capt’n’ Kerry Foley 19-3-1 (16) have continued to trade barbs ahead of their Friday night clash at the Melbourne Pavilion in Flemington, Victoria.
“He’s an absolute clown and he has the mentality of a child,” said Mitchell, 32, in an interview with Australian Boxing Central.
Everything about Melbourne’s Mitchell and Sydney’s Foley are like oil and water, from their fighting styles through to their personalities. There is genuine animosity in this boxer versus banger match-up and it’s difficult to imagine them becoming mates after the bout.
“It’s hard for me to rate this guy because I don’t respect him as a person, I don’t respect his intelligence,” said Mitchell, the WBC and WBA number 12 contender at 168-pounds.
“I truly, wholeheartedly believe that I really am going to put on a career-best performance and outshine Kerry on the night.”
The big-punching Foley is coming off back-to-back first round knockouts of Gutram Ngoya and Francisco Ramon Benitez this year. All three of his losses have come outside his natural weight class, as has the draw on his ledger.
“No-one can take my shots at super middleweight,” said Foley on Fight Call Out. “We’re looking for a knockout.”
Despite half of Foley’s stoppages coming in the opening frame, Mitchell remains unfazed by his vaunted power.
“It’s going to be interesting to see him carry all of that muscle. He’s so proud of himself but mate, this Dad-bod is going to run rings around him,” laughed Mitchell, who once tipped the scales at 130kg after he gave up boxing to concentrate on his concreting business.
Mitchell, who hails from Rye on the Mornington Peninsula, went on to question Foley’s heart.
“Kerry has taken a knee before, Kerry has been stopped before. I haven’t,” he said. “I’m not going to predict a stoppage, I’m just going to predict a boxing lesson.”
But Foley remains unconcerned with Mitchell’s activity and counter-punching ability.
“If I throw harder than him, it’ll stop him from punching,” he said the 30-year-old former Australian light heavyweight champion.
Mitchell versus Foley is the main event on the Big Time Boxing show that will also feature a six fight undercard.
The 10 round fight for the OPBF, IBF Pan Pacific and interim WBA Oceania 168-pound titles will be broadcast live on Epicentre.TV.
ANDREW MOLONEY EXCITED FOR BREAKTHROUGH OPPORTUNITY AGAINST FORMER WORLD CHAMPION LUIS CONECPCION THIS SATURDAY NIGHT
Undefeated super flyweight contender Andrew ‘The Monster’ Moloney 17-0 (10) is looking forward to adding his name to the list of lighter weight fighters to follow when he takes on former world titleholder Luis ‘El Nica’ Concepcion 37-6 (26) at the new Bendigo Stadium in Bendigo, Victoria this Saturday night.
Moloney and his twin brother Jason – who will box IBF bantamweight champion Emmanuel Rodriguez 18-0 (12) in the quarter finals of the second season of the World Boxing Super Series at a venue to be named – are both excited to be competing in two of the hottest weight classes in boxing.
“That’s right, they both probably are two of the hottest divisions. And it’s great, because the super flyweight division and the lighter weights have always been exceptionally competitive, but they generally haven’t got the recognition they deserve,” said Moloney.
“And thankfully the Super Fly series that started a few years ago created a lot of interest around the super flyweight division and, as you mentioned, the World Boxing Super Series has shone a big light on the bantamweight division.
“The lighter guys deserve more credit and it’s exciting to be a part of these divisions. Hopefully this fight is my breakthrough to start fighting against the other big names of the division and make myself known to the boxing public and fans around the world and let them know that I am one of the best super flyweights in the world.”
The winner of the fight between WBA number four Moloney and WBA number five Concepcion will have a mandate to face WBA 115-pound champion Kal Yafai 24-0 (15) of England.
American fight fans can catch the fight on ESPN+.
WORLD-RATED MICHAEL ZERAFA AND BLAKE CAPARELLO VICTORIOUS IN FOOTSCRAY LAST FRIDAY NIGHT
WBA number 14 junior middleweight Michael ‘Pretty Boy’ Zerafa 25-2 (14) made short work of Jose Agustin Feria 23-7-1 (15) on Friday night, stopping the Colombian in three rounds at the Croatian Club in Footscray, Melbourne to successfully defend his WBA Oceania title.
The reigning Commonwealth champion was in control throughout the bout, dropping Feria with a perfectly-timed counter right cross.
Zerafa, 26, was leading the bout by scores of 20-16 and 20-17 twice when the fight was stopped at 1:46 of the third stanza.
Also on the card WBC number 11 and WBO number 12 light heavyweight contender Blake ‘Il Capo’ Caparello 28-3-1 (12) needed just three rounds to stop tough Kiwi Lance ‘Buster’ Bryant 12-4 (5) in a scheduled eight round bout at cruiserweight.
The 32-year-old Caparello – who has shared the square circle with Sergey Kovalev and Andre Dirrell, dropping them both early on in their fights – was coming off an impressive first-round stoppage of former world title challenger Trent Broadhurst 20-3 (12) in June.
Meanwhile at super middleweight Emmanuel Carlos 8-1 (6) bounced back from his first career loss to stop Thailand’s Waiwit Nareeruk 0-3 in the fourth round of a six rounder.
Carlos dropped an eight round points decision to Dwight ‘The Fighting Cowboy’ Ritchie 18-1 (2) in April.
‘BANG BANG LULU’ BACK IN ACTION THIS SATURDAY NIGHT IN LOS ANGELES
American-based Australian Louisa ‘Bang Bang Lulu’ Hawton 8-1 (4) will box a ten rounder against Brenda ‘La Bonita’ Flores 12-4-1 (2) for the interim WBC atomweight title on the undercard of ‘Superfly III’ at the fabulous Forum in Inglewood, LA, California this Saturday night.
The five-bout undercard will be streamed live and free at 360Promotions.us and across all 360 Promotions social media platforms including Facebook and Twitter.
The 33-year-old Hawton is a former professional skateboarder who briefly held the WBO junior flyweight title after delivering Japanese southpaw Kei Takenaka 11-1 (3) her first and only defeat at the Komagatani Gym in Sanda, Japan two years ago.
Mexican Flores, 25, dropped a 10-round unanimous decision to Silvia Torres 18-1-1 (6) for the interim WBA junior flyweight title last December.