By Anthony Cocks
HEAVYWEIGHT DEMSEY MCKEAN HEADLINES EPIC AUSTRAIAN TITLE FIGHT CARD AGAINST ROGER IZONRITEI
Australian heavyweight champ Demsey ‘The Tower of Terror’ McKean 12-0 (6) will make the first defence of his national title against heavy-handed Perth veteran Roger Izonritei 12-7-1 (11) on Ace Boxing Promotions’ big card at Southport Sharks AFL Club in Southport, Queensland this Saturday, December 8.
The show will also feature three other Australian title fights in the lightweight, welterweight and light heavyweight divisions.
The 28-year-old Ipswich southpaw is promising to get the job done early and call it a night.
“Early stoppage within four rounds,” McKean told Maxboxing this week. “I’m going to hit him hard and hit him fast.”
McKean, who made the switch to boxing from MMA just four years ago, won the national title in impressive fashion against Willie ‘Wild Bill’ Nasio by TKO6 in Melbourne in October last year before spending a year on the sidelines due to hand surgery. He returned to stop Australian-based Russian Victor Oganov in the sixth round of an eight round contest two months ago.
The only thing holding back his career had been finding suitable opponents for the mobile 6-foot-6, 240-pound boxer-puncher.
“It should be a good fight,” McKean told The Hype Project. “He’s a former Australian champion from years ago and we have been having a bit of trouble getting match-ups and opponents in Australia as well, so it should be good to defend the title as well and show why I am the Australian heavyweight champion.”
While Australian boxers haven’t fared particularly well on the world stage over the past 10 years McKean is keen to change the public’s perception of what it means to be a boxer from the Antipodes.
“I think if they said to me ‘he’s just an Australian boxer’ I would say ‘yeah I am and I’m proud of it’,” he continued. “I will show the world I’m going to get to the top level and prove them all wrong.
“I’ve got the size, I’ve got the athleticism, I’ve got the speed and I’m getting the knockouts now, so I’ve got all the attributes to make it to that top level.
“My skillset is developing a lot more quickly now and I’m just keen for the future.”
Also on the card Quintin Carey 4-4 (1) will defend his Australian light heavyweight crown against Josh Frederiksen 7-1-2 (6), while southpaw Gaige Ireland 5-1-2 (3) will put his national lightweight crown up against Jacob Ng 8-0 (6).
In a battle for the vacant Australian welterweight title Tysinn Best 8-0 (2) will lock horns with Nathan Webber 6-0 (2).
The four 10-round Australian title fights will be supported by three four-round undercard bouts.
ANDREW MOLONEY WITHDRAWS FROM PERTH BOUT AGAINST FILIPINO CRIS PAULINO
WBA number three super flyweight Andrew ‘The Monster’ Moloney 18-0 (11) has been forced to withdraw from his fight against Cris ‘The King’ Paulino 19-3 (8) after suffering a cut in training.
The bout was set to headline Thunderdome 28 at Metro City in the Perth suburb of Northbridge on Saturday week.
“I’m devastated to let you all know that unfortunately I received a cut over my left eye during a sparring session on the weekend,” Moloney wrote on social media.
“I have carried injuries into many of my fights before but unfortunately this time I have had to make the decision to withdraw from my upcoming fight on December 14.
The 27-year-old twin brother of Jason Moloney – who impressed in his razor-thin split decision loss to IBF bantamweight champion Emmanuel Rodriguez in the World Boxing Super Series quarterfinal in October – was planning to have his first pro fight in the West Australian capital on the Dragon Fire promoted card.
“I would like to apologise to my opponent, Dragon Fire Promotions and everyone who has purchased tickets to come and watch me fight,” he added.
“This puts an end to 2018 for me. It has been a great year for me and my team and I would like to thank everyone for their amazing support.”
In his last outing Moloney knocked out former titleholder Luis ‘El Nica’ Concepcion in 10 rounds at Bendigo Stadium in Bendigo, Victoria in September.
Thunderdome 28 will still go ahead with Jackson Jon England 6-1 (3) clashing with undefeated Cain Brunton 4-0 (3) for the vacant Australian featherweight title and Brandon Ogilvie 21-2-1 (11) back in action over six.
FABULOUS FRANCIS CHUA WINS FANS AND INLUENCES PEOPLE AFTER STUNNING UPSET WIN OVER WBO #2 LIGHTWEIGHT KYE MACKENZIE
It takes a lot to impress a grizzled old hack like me but Francis ‘The Removalist’ Chua 6-0-1 (2) managed to do exactly that with his post-fight interview after springing the upset on WBO number two ranked lightweight Kye ‘Frenzy’ MacKenzie 20-2 (17) on the Jeff Horn versus Anthony Mundine undercard last Friday night.
“The game plan was to not let him breath. But actually I was not at my best tonight. I was cooked after the first round but I gave it to him I think because of my power,” said the West Australian southpaw to T2T Boxing.
“He’s supposedly had 17 knockouts. I felt nothing mate. I stood here like this and he hit me – bang-bang – and it was nothing. It that’s meant to be the top level, get behind me Australia because that was nothing.
“I want to be that Australian that goes overseas and beats the top American guys.”
Chua is already scouting future opponents and isn’t afraid to call out the big names. The really big names.
“[Vasyl] Lomachenko, that guy is absolutely amazing, but he only does well against boxers,” he said. “When he went against a brawler like [Orlando] Salido, he lost. I wasn’t at my best tonight but if you see me at my best, who knows, maybe I can take on Lomachenko.”
If the Perth-based furniture removalist has his way he’ll be taking on the WBO #4, WBA #5 and WBC #9 ranked super featherweight next up.
“For a debut, for America anyway, that kid Ryan Garcia [16-0 13KO]. I mean come on, he’s the slickest kid around but I’m just too strong,” Chua said.
“I’ve got to go back to work on Monday. I’ve been lifting furniture for 11 years, you don’t get this strong; I’m a grown man, he’s just a boy.
“Even if he has all the moves, all the slickness, you can’t beat just pure strength sometimes. And that’s what I am. I’m all heart.”
And oh yeah. If you’re in Perth and looking to move house, call Swan Taxi Trucks 0422 288 216 and ask for the Asian guy. ‘The Removalist’ never turns down an assignment.
LOUISA HAWTON RETURNS TO ACTION THIS WEEKEND ON HBO
Pocket-sized punching machine Louisa ‘Bang Bang Lulu’ Hawton 8-2 (4) returns to the ring this Saturday night against Lorraine Villalobos 2-1 at the StubHub Center in Carson, California.
The eight-round bout will be on the undercard of the doubleheader featuring undisputed welterweight champion Cecilia Braekhus’s title defence against Aleksandra Magdziak Lopes and undisputed super middleweight champion Claressa Shields 7-0 (2) versus Femke Hermans 9-1 (3).
In her last outing the US-based 33-year-old from Perth was the victim of a disgraceful robbery against Brenda Flores in a fight for the interim WBC atomweight title at the Forum in Inglewood, California in September when she lost a highly-controversial split decision.
The California State Athletic Commission ordered an immediate rematch but Flores withdrew from the bout citing injury.
“Having to see my kids Eli and Estelle and have them tell me ‘Mum, you won that fight, you are the champion, why did they do that to you?’ was just unbearable,” the former WBO light flyweight champion said.
The winner of Hawton versus Villalobos will be crowned interim WBC atomweight champion.