MaxBoxing
Crave Online

SPORTS  >  MAXBOXING

MaxTV Podcasts Fight Galleries Ring Card Girls Fight Schedule Radio Todays Press Message Boards
Login
 
Max Analysis
Steve Kim
Radio Rahim
Radio Rahimn's Interviews Radio Rahim's Facebook Radio Rahim's Google+ Radio Rahim's Website email Radio Rahim
Talkin Boxing With Billy C Live
Talkin Boxing with Billy C on YouTube

LUIS CORTES

Luis Cortes Archive

ALEC KOHUT

Alec Kohut Archive

MARTY MULCAHEY

Marty Mulcahey Archive

ALLAN SCOTTO

Allan Scotto Archive

STEPHEN TOBEY

Stephen Tobey Archive

GERMAN VILLASENOR

German Villasenor Archive

ANSON WAINWRIGHT

Anson Wainwright Archive

MATTHEW PARAS

Matthew Paras Archive

DANIEL KRAVETZ

Daniel Kravetz Archive

JASON GONZALEZ

Jason Gonzalez Archive
New MaxTV Videos
Espinoza Boxing Club

RECENT TOPICS ON THE MAXBOXING FORUMS















featured sponsor

Chavez-Vera II in the Works

(Photo © German Villasenor)
(Photo © German Villasenor)


Last Saturday night at the StubHub Center in Carson, California, Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. was the recipient of what many believed to be a very fortunate, unanimous decision over the rugged Bryan Vera. The bout ended up being a light heavyweight contest after it was deemed that Chavez simply could not make the super middleweight limit of 168 pounds as originally agreed in the contract. Predictably, a rematch is being discussed by all the parties involved.
 
It would take place on either December the 7th or the 14th, somewhere in the state of Texas.

As for who would televise it, Bob Arum, the head of Top Rank, told Maxboxing on Wednesday afternoon, “There’s a question at HBO whether they have the money to go ahead with it but I have no problem doing a pay-per-view with this fight.”
 
Arum was unable to attend the fight last weekend as his stepdaughter, Dena duBoef was getting married. But the veteran promoter had to deal with all the ancillary issues that come with promoting the mercurial Chavez and his fluctuating weight.
 
“It’s drama; it’s too much drama,” said Arum, who came to the realization long ago that he’s just along for this rollercoaster ride, “and he’s got to get with a real trainer and he’s got to listen to the trainer and he can’t run things himself. He’s a fighter and he wants to do a rematch and, hopefully, we’ll do a rematch and he’ll be in shape.”
 
Top Rank would like a quick turnaround for Chavez, believing the more down time he has, the greater the chance he’ll blow up in weight (again). They also would like to see him fight twice in 2013.
 
RATINGS/TIX SALES
 
Courtesy of Nielsen Media Research:
 
The opening bout Saturday night on HBO featured rising star Adonis Stevenson and his superb defense of his light heavyweight title against Tavoris Cloud. The event from Montreal attracted 1,177,000 viewers. The figure marks a solid 15 percent increase from Stevenson’s first-ever appearance on HBO last June, when his KO win over Chad Dawson recorded 1,024,000 viewers.
 
The main event of Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. vs. Bryan Vera last Saturday night in California registered 1,416,000 viewers, ranking as cable television’s most watched fight of 2013.
 
Say what you will about “Julio Drama”; he is still a guy who can bring eyeballs to televisions. But last year, his bout against Marco Antonio Rubio had 1.9 million viewers and his contest against Andy Lee had 1.6 million viewers.
 
In terms of attendance, Chavez-Vera sold 4,137 tickets with 908 comps for a total of $334,831. Last year, Chavez played to much larger numbers in San Antonio, El Paso and Las Vegas and had multimillion-dollar gates. It didn’t help matters that more than one complaint has been lodged in this direction over the fact that $25 dollar tickets were said to be sold out and then suddenly available just a day or two before the fight.
 
Arum explained that with duBoef - who handles such matters for the company - getting married, there was a communication lapse and those tickets, supposed to be released a few weeks ago, instead went on sale late last week. Arum said this faux pas would never happen again.
 
Make no doubt about it; Chavez is still a draw but this brand has taken a hit in 2013.
 
RIGO
 
So what’s the latest with junior featherweight king Guillermo Rigondeaux?
 
Well, it looks like he will be on HBO but according to Arum, “[HBO] wants him to move to November but Frank Espinoza says that his guy [Joseph Agbeko] isn’t going to be ready. So that remains to be decided.”
 
The word is HBO is looking into making November 16th a split-site broadcast (they already have the return of Andre Ward versus Edwin Rodriguez from Ontario, California on the schedule) with Rigondeaux involved.
 
Arum says if worse comes to worse, he will slot the talented Cuban on the Chavez-Vera II pay-per-view undercard.
 
SOE
 
Here’s my latest contribution to SportsOnEarth.com on the return of Miguel Cotto to Top Rank/HBO:
 
 
TNR
 
Here’s this week’s episode of “The Next Round”:
 
 
SHUTDOWN FLURRIES
 
 
So what was trainer Kevin Cunningham’s reaction to Amir Khan’s statement that he’s still planning to face Devon Alexander on December 7th? “They are full of sh*t.” That about sums it up...The “30 for 30” on October 15th, “No Mas,” will focus on the infamous rematch between Sugar Ray Leonard and Roberto Duran…HBO will have live coverage of the heavyweight title tilt between Wladimir Klitschko and Alexander Povetkin at 3:30 p.m., ET, before broadcasting Miguel Cotto’s bout against Delvin Rodriguez and Terence Crawford-Andrey Klimov at 9:45 p.m., ET...Finally got to see “The Book of Manning.” I thought it was great. Archie Manning was the original “Johnny Football”...Ronald Reagan and Tip O’Neill must be rolling over in their graves right about now...I can be reached at k9kim@yahoo.com and I tweet at www.twitter.com/stevemaxboxing. We also have a Facebook fan page at www.facebook.com/MaxBoxing, where you can discuss our content with Maxboxing readers as well as chime in via our fully interactive article comments sections.
 


© 2010 MaxBoxing UK Ltd