On Tuesday morning, Keith Kizer, executive director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission informed various members of the media that Top Rank had made their intentions clear to stage a bout between Juan Manuel Marquez and Tim Bradley on September 14th at the Thomas and Mack Center. Of course, their arch-nemesis, Golden Boy Promotions had long ago made it clear that they would be doing a card on that same date from the MGM Grand.
If you recall, last year on this very same slot (Mexican Independence Day weekend) that both promotional entities put on shows at the very same venues. Golden Boy had a card featuring Saul ’Canelo’ Alvarez on Showtime and Top Rank had a show featuring Julio Cesar Chavez Jr’s challenge of middleweight king, Sergio Martinez that was on HBO Pay-Per-View.
"We notified the commission on December the 8th that we were going to go on September the 14th and Floyd Mayweather was very consistent with his comments that he wants to do those six fights in those thirty months and he’s as clear as he can be," said Golden Boy CEO, Richard Schaefer, referring to Mayweather’s much-talked about new deal with Showtime, which kicks off next week against Robert ’the Ghost Guerrero.
Last week Schaefer spoke to Mayweather during his media day in Las Vegas and he said,"Nothing has changed," adding,"He said he wants to fight September the 14th."
But these are the facts: Mayweather, has not fought twice in a calendar year since 2007( when he became a superstar with victories over Oscar De La Hoya and Ricky Hatton) and the last time he performed twice in a four month period was way back in 2001( when he downed Diego Corrales in January of that year and then Carlos Hernandez that May).
Which is probably one of the reasons why Top Rank took the step of solidifying this promotion. But if Mayweather does decide to fight in September, Carl Moretti, VP of Boxing Operations for Top Rank told Maxboxing,"It’s something we would look at carefully and obviously, consider moving off the date."
As for the odds of Marquez-Bradley sticking to this September date, Moretti stated,"We feel pretty confident it’s going to happen based on history," referring to Mayweather’s proclivity for long layoffs in-between fights in recent years."It’s a great style match,"added Moretti,"it’s an intriguing fight. I think it’s a 50-50 fight."
Schaefer seemed confident of Mayweather making a quick turn around.
"I can tell you for sure Floyd Mayweather will be fighting on September the 14th and we have informed the pay-per-view industry, as well as In-Demand, Dish(Network), DirecTV, the phone companies and they are all behind Floyd because Floyd is by far the biggest pay-per-view star."
Of course, if Floyd doesn’t fight on this date, there is always the chance that Saul ’Canelo’ Alvarez could take the headlining spot on Golden Boy’s card. (And by the way, he is actually Mexican) While many talk about the possibility of Mayweather facing Alvarez in this spot but just remember this, ’Canelo’ bolted from the May 4th undercard because he didn’t get any assurances from Mayweather that he would face him next.
But here’s an interesting scenario, let’s say that Mayweather decides to return in November or December and a bout between Alvarez and Miguel Cotto is consummated for September 14th, then what?
Who budges? And who does the pay-per-view industry side with? Which fight do you prefer?
Main Events announced a triple-header for June 14th on the NBC Sports Network that will feature: heavyweights Bryant Jennings and Andrey Fedosov, a light heavyweight bout between Sergey Kovalev and Cornelius White and Ronald Cruz-Jaime Herrera from the Sands in Bethlehem, PA....So is Kobe going to continue tweeting during the last few Laker playoff losses?....So does Mike Brown going back to coach the Cavs mean you really can go home again?