Broadcast on HBO, Golovkin’s win over Rosado represented the seventh defense of his WBA Middleweight Title and kicked off a huge upcoming 2013 for THE most talked about fighter in boxing.
“I’m very thankful to the WBA for this honor and I look forward to defending my title against Nobuhiro Ishida on MARCH 30 in Monte Carlo, Monaco” said Golovkin as he prepares to return to Big Bear, California and commence training under the watchful eye of Abel Sanchez at The Summit Training Center.
Fighting for K2 Promotions, Managing Director Tom Loeffler spoke about the upcoming year for Golovkin.
“As we’ve said since after the Proksa knock out in September of last year, we want Gennady to fight often and our plan is to have him fight five times this year. If all goes well against Ishida we’re looking at a return in June in the United States and then two more fights in 2013” said Loeffler.
In regards to future opponents this year, Loeffler as always was emphatic about Golovkin’s opposition, “Gennady wants to face the other top middleweights to prove in the ring who is the best as it should be, not to have the top slot dictated by outside the ring influences. He is ready right now to face any of the top names; Sergio Martinez, Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., Daniel Geale, Dmitry Pirog, Felix Sturm, Matthew Macklin or Peter Quillin.”
“Gennady is ready to line then up and face them in any order they wish. At the end of this year he wants there to be no doubt as to who the best middleweight in the world is and who the 2013 Fighter of the Year should be.”