The Managing Director of K2 Promotions, Tom Loeffler, told Maxboxing on Tuesday afternoon, “We had the date of February 1st in Monte Carlo and they were very interested in bringing Gennady Golovkin back. HBO, at the time, didn’t have a date for him in this time frame and Gennady wanted to stay active. That’s how we finalized this deal. We went through a lot of different names for this fight.”
It was pretty evident that “GGG” was not going to be paired with one of the marquee names in the middleweight division for this particular date.
“Obviously, [lineal middleweight champion] Sergio Martinez is still injured. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. is fighting his rematch with Bryan Vera. There were some European opponents that would’ve been interesting. Andy Lee, we approached him. We approached Danny Geale and at the end of the day, Adama seemed to make the most sense. He already fought for a world title against Geale (who held the IBF title). It was a very close decision and he’s never been stopped, so we think he’s going to be a credible challenger.”
Adama has a mark of 22-3 (16). This tough Ghanaian, who now fights out of Chicago, has indeed never been stopped.
As for Martin Murray, ranked number one in the WBA, Loeffler explained, “We approached Murray as well for this fight. That would’ve made the most sense but he had passed on the previous offer we had made to fight in Canada and he’s fighting now on December 14th in the U.K. So there hasn’t been much interest from the Murray side to face Gennady.”
In terms of the television component of this promotion, dubbed “Monte Carlo Night of Champions,” Loeffler says, “It’ll be on international television all throughout the world. As far as HBO is concerned or U.S. television is concerned, we’re still working out the details on that.”
Last year, Golovkin saw his HBO ratings rise consistently but it’s clear he was fighting with or without them on this date.
“We’re still talking to HBO about that. They don’t currently have a fight scheduled on that date, so it’s a little unclear what’s going to happen in the U.S. as of now. But we wanted to announce the fight and then we can work out the details later,” said Loeffler. Asked about the possibility of a small, independent pay-per-view, he stated, “That’s a good question. I’m not sure what direction we would go in with that. HBO would be our first choice. If that doesn’t work, then we would need to see what’s the best alternative.”
Loeffler mentioned that Golovkin is scheduled to be back on HBO on April 26th, with New York being the leading candidate to host.
“Gennady wants to stay busy and he certainly could’ve waited for April to come around but because of the opportunity to fight in Monte Carlo and there’s another aspect to this, to keep him active in front of his European fans and this will be prime time in Europe as well and that’s an important aspect for his career,” noted Loeffler.