Crave Online


MaxTV Podcasts Fight Schedule Radio Todays Press Message Boards Login
Max Analysis
John Raspanti
Radio Rahim
Radio Rahimn's Interviews Radio Rahim's Facebook Radio Rahim's Google+ Radio Rahim's Website email Radio Rahim


Luis Cortes Archive


Alec Kohut Archive


Marty Mulcahey Archive


Allan Scotto Archive


Stephen Tobey Archive


German Villasenor Archive


Anson Wainwright Archive


Matthew Paras Archive


Daniel Kravetz Archive


Jason Gonzalez Archive

German’s Weekend Report! - Aug. 28, 2012

By German Villasenor

Caballero Retains Title; Perez Edges Maldonado
Indio CA- Randy Caballero retained his WBO NABO bantamweight belt and undefeated status in front of his hometown crowd on Friday night at the Fantasy Springs Casino with a unanimous decision in 10 heats over Manuel “Suavecito” Roman in the “ShoBox: The New Generation” main event.
Caballero was the faster, crisper and more active boxer from the onset, scoring combinations against a much slower Roman who had trouble trying to land any punches through the first couple of rounds.
Caballero, 16-0 (8), seemed to be on course to an early stoppage as he landed a straight right/left hook combination to Roman’s head in the second frame (a half-trip of feet also contributed to the knockdown), dropping him on his seat.
Unhurt, Roman quickly got up as the bell ended the round.

Roman continued coming forward, landing snappy jabs and setting up his frenzied style of throwing half-wild, leaping shots, keeping Roman from getting into any sort of rhythm as the rounds progressed. The slow- footed Roman would land his best punch, a body shot, midway into the fight with Caballero still in full control of the round and bout at that point.
Roman finally warmed up by the seventh, landing body shots, one of which put Caballero down as he pulled down Roman’s head. Referee Pat Russell quickly pointed it out to the rest of the officials without taking a point off.
Way ahead on points, Caballero staved off a late attack by his opponent in the final round, going on to win a unanimous decision via scores of 97-92 and 96-93 (twice).
With the loss, Roman saw his record drop to 15-2-3 (6).
Perez survives last round knockdown, edges Maldonado in 10
Lightweight body puncher Michael “El Artista” Perez, 17-1-1 (10), managed to survive a late rally by game southpaw Fidel Maldonado, 13-2 (11), winning a majority decision at the end of 10 rounds.
Albuquerque’s Maldonado suffered a cut from an accidental headbutt over his right eye in the third round of the contest; his come-forward opponent proved to be more troublesome and dished out a bad beating in the fourth frame. A beat-up Maldonado barely escaped the round.
Bouncing back in the fifth, Maldonado fared better as Perez eased off the gas pedal. This allowed Maldonado back into the fight as he backed up the New Jersey resident.
The fight went into high gear by the eighth with both men taking turns beating on each other. The body puncher in Perez, bruised and bleeding from the mouth, dug deep to stave off Maldonado’s late charges in the later rounds. Still, showing the weaker legs, Maldonado had enough in the tank to land a debilitating body shot, following up with head shots, putting down Perez in the final round.
Referee Ray Corona waved the fight on and as Perez struggled to get up, the bell rang to end the contest.
Scores were 97-92 and 95-94 for Perez and 95-94 for Maldonado as Perez walked away with the split decision victory.
Sanchez Stops Leyva in Final Round; Avila Stops Alfaro in Two
Welterweight Alan Sanchez, who shocked everyone with a surprising stoppage over Artemio Reyes in their rematch several months ago, returned to action against Manuel Leyva, 21-8 (12), in the Telefutura main event on Saturday night at the Fairfield Sports Center in Fairfield, California.
Local favorite Sanchez had his hands full against the southpaw Leyva, from Ensenada, Mexico, for nearly the whole fight en route to a final round stoppage. Sanchez net his fifth KO in 11 victories against two losses and one draw.
Leyva threw probing shots in the first couple of rounds, as Sanchez played counterpuncher in rounds he chose to mainly evaluate Leyva in.
Sanchez established his long jab and follow-up rights in the third, making the shorter man pull back, unable to throw effective shots in the frame. Following a nondescript third round, Sanchez once more picked up the pace in the fourth, landing right hands and slipping shots. Leyva managed to land one good shot upstairs during the round.
Leyva hurt Sanchez with body shots early in the sixth, backing him up and doubling him over, affording himself the opportunity to recover and fight his way out of trouble as the round went on. Leyva continued his body attack, digging to the pit of Sanchez’s stomach, disrupting his rhythm and forcing the taller fighter to back up and reset.
Sanchez came back late in the round, smashing crosses into Leyva’s mug. In turn, Leyva sporadically threw haymakers before an accidental headbutt opened a bloody cut on his hairline but the southpaw managed to hang in tough to the bell.
Repeated right hands stopped Leyva in his tracks late in the following round, halting the momentum he gained by tagging Sanchez with body shots earlier in the round.
Sanchez landed upstairs with right hands but Leyva connected to the body and that would be the story going into the 10th and final round.
During an exchange, Sanchez put an end to the contest as a right sent Leyva down against the ropes, Referee Dan Stell immediately stopped the bout at 1:46 of the round.
Avila Stops Alfaro in Two
The televised co-feature between super bantamweight Vicente Alfaro, 5-2 (1), and Vacaville, California’s own Manuel “Tino” Avila, 9-0 (3), was delayed because of a change of gloves by the referee for Alfaro after the fighters’ introduction.
As the fight began, Alfaro darted in and out with jabs to the body and head, moving well to the side. Avila stalked, throwing the straighter shots, landing some, and trying to slow down the slippery Alfaro throughout the first round.
Alfaro reversed the roles in the second, pressing forward and throwing punches in bunches at the onset of the round. Avila would turn the tables once more as a right hand landing upstairs made Alfaro touch the canvas with a glove for a knockdown call by the referee. Avila closed the round, landing uppercuts in spots, as Alfaro used a wide, out stretched guard, leaving himself open down the middle.
Alfaro again came forward in the second round with Avila getting another knockdown nod, as a shot made Alfaro touch the canvas with a knee while they fought against the ropes.
Despite a good showing and a game effort by Alfaro, his corner threw in the towel as their own fighter was still throwing punches and moving forward. The time of the stoppage was 2:04
Questions and comments can be sent to German at

Subscribe to feed Subscribe to feed

© 2010 MaxBoxing UK Ltd