Crave Online


MaxTV Podcasts Fight Schedule Radio Todays Press Message Boards Login
Max Analysis
John Raspanti
Radio Rahim
Radio Rahimn's Interviews Radio Rahim's Facebook Radio Rahim's Google+ Radio Rahim's Website email Radio Rahim


Luis Cortes Archive


Alec Kohut Archive


Marty Mulcahey Archive


Allan Scotto Archive


Stephen Tobey Archive


German Villasenor Archive


Anson Wainwright Archive


Matthew Paras Archive


Daniel Kravetz Archive


Jason Gonzalez Archive

DeMarco KOs Gurrola in Two; Lopez Decisions Gutierrez

(Photo © German Villasenor)
(Photo © German Villasenor)

By German Villasenor

Casino Hipodromo Agua Caliente, Tijuana, Mexico - Making his second start since being dismantled and stopped by then-red-hot Adrien Broner for the WBC lightweight title in 2011, Antonio DeMarco, 30-3-1 (23), halted Jesus “Pantera” Gurrola, 20-6-3 (9), in the second round of a scheduled 10-round super lightweight bout Saturday night on a dual telecast via TV Azteca and UniMas.
In the Zanfer Promotions main event, the southpaw DeMarco, now trained by Freddie Roach, used his long reach to snap thudding jabs, which bloodied Gurrola’s nose.
Late in the round, a counter right hook all but put Gurrola down but he bounced off the bottom ropes. Referee Juan Jose Ramirez kept a watchful eye for the remaining seconds of the round.

DeMarco kept working the jab with follow-up lefts and hooks (which didn’t quite contact) through the second, landing a straight left which put a badly hurt Gurrola in slow motion onto the seat of his pants.
Mouth and nose bloodied, Gurrola spit out his mouthpiece as Ramirez reached the eight count and halted the fight.
In the co-featured bout, former WBC super featherweight champion Humberto “Betillo” Gutierrez, 29-5-2 (21), now fighting in the welterweight ranks, lost a tight split decision against Abner “Castigador” Lopez, 17-3 (15), in a 10-round brawl.
Gutierrez began quick, landing a sharp right upstairs before moving forward and pressuring Lopez against the ropes. After landing several wide hooks near the end of the round, Gutierrez landed a series of counter shots which wobbled and nearly dropped Lopez, who managed to escape the near-disastrous round.
Both fighters traded hard shots in the second, with Gutierrez landing the more damaging shots.
The action heated up moreso in the following rounds as the fight went into phone booth status. A break only took place during the action to replace Gutierrez’s mouthpiece, which he lost during an exchange in the fourth.
Gutierrez used his experience to pick his spots and slow down the bigger man in the fifth. Landing the cleaner shots, the former titleholder put another round in the bag.
Gutierrez used good body movement in order to avoid plenty of wide shots coming his way in the sixth round.
Both men traded hard shots against the ropes late with Gutierrez landing a very hard left hook upstairs, which briefly staggered Lopez.
Gutierrez kept working down his foe in the seventh with Lopez losing a point early in the eighth due to a low blow. Punches were delivered in a slower fashion for the rest of the round due to both fighters suffering from fatigue.
The firefight renewed itself in the following round, with the crowd on its feet for most of it as both fighters traded shots in nonstop fashion.
The bloodied Gutierrez lost his mouthpiece a third time in the 10th but he used angles and landed shots on the break, running down the clock to the bell.
The official scorecards read 97-93 and 96-93 for Lopez and 95-94 for Gutierrez.
Welterweight Rodrigo Garcia, 15-0 (10), damaged the nose of Claudinei Lacerda, 16-10 (12), from the start of a scheduled eight-rounder, slowly breaking down the Brazilian as the rounds progressed.
Jarring jabs and a few right hands were more than enough for referee Juan Jose Ramirez to stop the battering in the fourth round. Time of the stoppage was 2:17 of the round.
In other results, in a four-rounder, tall and lanky Leonardo Baez, 3-0 (2), dispatched Bernardino Guevara, 0-8, with 18 seconds remaining in the final round with a picture-perfect shot to the liver.
Lightweight Eduardo Galindo, 7-0 (7), got up from a knockdown en route to stopping a very game Jose Maria Valdez, 3-9-2 (1), in five.
Lunging with wide shots from the onset, Valdez began to get nailed by the sharper shots of the undefeated fighter. Amid a furious attack from Galindo, Valdez managed to land a right hand which got Galindo’s attention midway into the first frame. Galindo regained control quickly, going on to win the remainder of the round.
Valdez hung tough, trading at a nice pace with the stronger fighter in the second frame. Valdez, the veteran, went on to outwork his foe in the third but coming in with the surprise, Valdez dropped Galindo with a left to the stomach. To his credit, Galindo got up and closed the rest of the round strong.
Both men went for broke in the fifth, trading bombs, but the heavy-handed Galindo dropped the game Valdez with a head shot near the end of the round. Valdez got up but remained on the receiving end of more damaging shots and the referee wisely chose to stop the bout at 2:39.
During the telecast on UniMas, it was revealed that Erik Morales would make his comeback fight against Jorge “El Maromerito” Paez Jr. in Monterrey, Mexico on March 22nd.
Questions and comments can be sent to German at
Please visit our Facebook fan page at, where you can discuss our content with Maxboxing readers as well as chime in via our fully interactive article comments sections.

Subscribe to feed Subscribe to feed

© 2010 MaxBoxing UK Ltd