Crave Online


MaxTV Podcasts Fight Schedule Radio Todays Press Message Boards Login
Max Analysis
John Raspanti
Radio Rahim
Radio Rahimn's Interviews Radio Rahim's Facebook Radio Rahim's Google+ Radio Rahim's Website email Radio Rahim


Luis Cortes Archive


Alec Kohut Archive


Marty Mulcahey Archive


Allan Scotto Archive


Stephen Tobey Archive


German Villasenor Archive


Anson Wainwright Archive


Matthew Paras Archive


Daniel Kravetz Archive


Jason Gonzalez Archive

Azad Championship Report - Brook Stops Jones In eight, Campbell Wins

Azad Championship Report
Azad Championship Report

By Danny Winterbottom

Olympic gold medallist Luke Campbell made a successful transition to the pro game with an easy first round stoppage of Andy Harris outdoors at Craven Park Stadium in his home city of Hull.  

Campbell, who defeated Ireland’s John Joe Nevin in the London Olympic final, was given a hero’s welcome by the 7,000 strong crowd who had waited hours to see his debut but saw only a glimpse of the southpaw’s potential as he dropped Harris within 30 seconds with a counter right hook to the top of the head.  

Harris wasn’t hurt but Campbell blazed into him and after a barrage of blows Harris was down again, more off balance than hurt.  

Luke backed Harris to the ropes and after a series of fast and accurate shots referee Howard Foster waved the contest off with the official time recorded of 1-28 of the opening round. 

One year and six months on from their brutal first encounter Kell Brook (10st 11lbs) began his rematch with American Carson Jones (10st 11lbs 12oz) in scintillating form, punishing the Oklahoma warrior with crisp and accurate blows and dropping him in round two with a sharp right uppercut.  

Brook seemed to be shaking off the disappointment of his aborted world title tilt at Devon Alexander, but Jones is a tough customer and despite taking plenty of leather from Brook he slowly began to get a foothold in the contest and pressure the Sheffield star.  

When Brook put his punches together in threes and fours he looked far too skilful for Jones but the American is a real grinder and he bloodied the nose of Brook in round four and came on strong in round seven as Brook appeared reluctant to let his hands go.  

Kell stepped on the gas in round eight and sent Jones to the floor before a follow up barrage of blows forced referee Mike Alexander to call a halt to the contest with Jones complaining. The end came at 1-07.  

Following the contest promoter Eddie Hearn told Sky Sports that an announcement would be made next week regarding a September opponent for Brook with Hearn hinting it would be a ‘big name’.  

Derry Mathews produced a spectacular come from behind left hook knockout to claim the vacant Commonwealth lightweight title and dash the hopes of home town favourite Tommy Coyle.  

Coyle (9st 8lbs 2oz) ,under the tuition of Jamie Moore, looked to be on the verge of the win of his career so far as he tormented the more experienced Mathews (9st 8lbs 15oz) with hard hooks and hurtful body shots for nine rounds before he was caught during an exchange of punches by a huge counter left hook from the Liverpudlian. Coyle was badly stunned, managed to haul himself to his feet but the fight was waved off by referee Phil Edwards and Mathews celebrated wildly. The end came at 2-41 of round 10.  

All the results

vacant Commonwealth lightweight title Tommy Coyle w tko 10 Derry Mathews
WBC International featherweight title Lee Selby w pts 12 Viorel Simion
light middleweight Kell Brook w tko 8 Carson Jones
lightweight Curtis Woodhouse w tko 3 Joe Elfidh
lightweight Luke Campbell w tko 1 Andrew Harris
super middleweight John Ryder w tko 2 Yoann Bloyer
middleweight Anthony Ogogo w tko 5 Gary Boulden
light heavyweight Rocky Fielding w pts 4 Darren McKenna
lightweight Joel Haigh drew 4 Youssef Al Hamidi
welterweight Zak Collins w tko 4 Ross Payne

Subscribe to feed Subscribe to feed

© 2010 MaxBoxing UK Ltd